Decisions, decisions! There are so many choices to make when it comes to planning your new tattoo. We often get asked how to go about narrowing down design options, so we thought we would provide some tips and tricks to keep in mind when you are figuring out what your next inked treasure will be.
- CUSTOM OR FLASH: First things first. The type of tattoo you are itching for depends on what you are feeling at the time. Are you cool with walking into a shop that offers flash or choosing a piece from a flash sheet that an artist features online? Or is it time for something more customized that will require some planning and coordination? Sometimes tattoo flash can help to inspire ideas for a piece that is completely your own, so a combo of the two might even be an option.
- TAKE TIME TO BRAINSTORM: This can be done with your friends, partner, family, or tattoo artist. Throw around ideas as to what is striking your fancy and dig into books, online platforms, and even the world around you to find inspiration. Start making lists and narrow them down as you go. You can even offer up multiple ideas and see what your tattoo artist feels comfortable designing and planning for.
- WHAT MAKES YOU “YOU”? – This is an important aspect of tattoo planning to consider, as oftentimes certain themes and foci can become popular and trendy in the tattoo world. It’s cool if you feel that those trends fit you, but it can also be helpful to step back and really think about what encompasses you and makes you special and unique. When you do that, you might find that ideas and designs that showcase your uniqueness will surface. So, ask yourself what those special characteristics are that really make you tick.
- SIZE MATTERS: This is a crucial part of planning for your next tattoo, as the amount of detail and intricacy that a tattoo contains is dependent on how much skin real estate you are willing to give to it. The size will also have a bearing on the cost of your next tattooed treasure, so it’s an important aspect to figure out.
- LOCATION: This is also an important element to consider, as certain designs, shapes, and styles will look better on certain areas of your body. In addition, many tattoo artists prefer to work on specific areas (ie: legs, arms, backs, etc.), so knowing where you wish for your new tattoo to reside will be something you will want to consider.
- FINDING THE PERFECT ARTIST: As you are working through your tattoo design options, you’ll want to narrow down which artist you will choose for the job. Each tattooist brings their own unique style, flair, and vibe to the game, so this can also help to dictate what type of piece you will choose. Utilize the wide world of social media and take time to explore your options. We live in an incredible era of tattooing, where the talent is abundant and finding the right person for the project you have in mind is easier (and more fun) than ever before. Check out portfolios, reach out to artists with their preferred method of communication, and weigh your options. Something is bound to click when you find the artist that is perfect for the project.
- PLANNING FOR THE AFTERMATH: Once you decide on the perfect design, find the ideal artist, and make your tattoo appointment, it’s time to start planning for how you will keep that tattooed treasure looking its best. All of us at MD WipeOutz know that it starts with a smooth and easy aftercare routine, so remember to stock up on Wipe Outz™ Tattoo Towels when you get to that point. Wipe Outz make cleaning your tattoo more efficient, less messy, and are super convenient. They are also non-toxic, biodegradable, and vegan, so they are safe to use on your skin and safe for the environment. Stock up today and set your mind at ease for the aftercare stage of the tattooing process.