Wintertime is here and it’s synonymous with all kinds of wonderful things, like holiday decorations, gift shopping, hot cocoa, winter sports, Christmas carols, delicious holiday food, family gatherings, and festive events. And along with all of these memorable events, we also need to be aware of cold temperatures and what those frosty conditions can do to our skin.
The dry air of winter can strip our skin of its natural oils, which can make it more susceptible to cracking. In addition, the cold weather can cause our skin to lose moisture more quickly, which can lead to dryness and cracking. Finally, the cold can cause our skin to contract, which can cause fine lines and cracks to become more pronounced.
Because we are all about skin care and keeping tattoos as clean and healthy as possible here at MD Wipeoutz, we wanted to offer you some tips and tricks to managing skin care, and therefore vibrant tattoos while we hunker down for the holiday months.
- Stay hydrated! No matter what time of year it is, this is a key tip, but it’s especially important in cold temperatures because staying hydrated by drinking plenty of water can also help prevent dry skin during the winter.
- Keep your tattoo clean by incorporating WipeOutz tattoo towels into your routine. WipeOutz towels are sterilized and bacteria-free and are created to optimize both the aftercare and ongoing care experience.
- Prevent dryness and cracking by avoiding prolonged hot showers and using humidifiers. The hot water can strip your skin of its natural oils, which can cause your tattoo to dry out and become irritated. Instead, take lukewarm showers and pat your tattoo gently with a Wipeoutz towel.
- Keep your tattoo moisturized by applying a moisturizing lotion. This will help keep the tattoo from drying out and cracking.
- Avoid exposing your tattoo to cold temperatures or harsh winds. These can cause the tattoo to dry out and become irritated. If you must be outside in cold weather, make sure to cover your tattoo with a bandage or clothing to protect it.
- Avoid swimming or soaking in hot tubs. Chlorine and other chemicals in the water can irritate your tattoo and cause it to fade.
- If you are lucky enough to see sunshine during the winter months, avoid exposing your tattoo to direct sunlight. This can cause your tattoo to fade and become damaged. If you must be in the sun, make sure to use a high-SPF sunscreen to protect your tattoo.
By following these steps, you can help keep your tattoo healthy and looking its best during the winter months, which will leave you more time for gift shopping, holiday parties, building snowmen, and eating Christmas feasts and desserts. Happy Holidays from all of us here at MD Wipeoutz and here’s to an amazing New Year!